Prostate Cancer

Scottsdale, AZ Cancer Treatment Center

At Palo Verde Cancer Specialists, our mission is to offer hope in the battle against cancer. Our team of cancer doctors and leading treatment experts works closely with our patients to create personalized, comprehensive treatment plans for our patients, and we work hard to design treatments that fit into your lifestyle. We offer a variety of state-of-the-art radiation therapy treatments for a variety of conditions, including prostate cancer.

What Is Prostate Cancer?

Prostate cancer refers to cancers that form in the prostate: a small, walnut-sized gland that’s located in the pelvic area surrounding the neck of the bladder. It’s the most common form of cancer for men of all ages in America, second only to skin cancer, and it affects about 14% of all men at some point in life. But while prostate cancer is common, it’s also easy to treat. 5-year survival rates for prostate cancer are 99% when caught early on, and the survival rate is still as high as 95% after 15 years.

Types of Prostate Cancer

About 90% of prostate cancers are acinar adenocarcinomas, which is a generally mild form of cancer that begins in the gland cells, grows slowly, and rarely spreads. The remaining 10% are usually one of six other forms of rare cancer. Unfortunately, because they’re so uncommon, we know less about these types of prostate cancer and they’re not as easy to treat.

Risk Factors for Prostate Cancer Treatment

As with many other forms of cancer, researchers still don’t understand the exact causal mechanisms of prostate cancer. However, research has identified a number of factors that are linked to an increased likelihood of developing the cancer. These are called risk factors. Having any of these risk factors put you at an increased risk for prostate cancer, but this in no way means that you’re guaranteed to develop prostate cancer.

Age: Risk of prostate cancer increases over time, with more than 65% of all cases diagnosed in patients over age 65. The average age of diagnosis for prostate cancer is 69. For men aged 70 and older, prostate cancer is the most common cancer diagnosis.

Race & Ethnicity: African American men are more likely to develop prostate cancer than Caucasian men and 2.5 times more likely to die from it, although researchers still don’t understand why. Conversely, Asian American and Hispanic men are less likely to contract prostate cancer than non-Hispanic whites.

Location: Men living farther north than 40º latitude have a higher risk of dying from prostate cancer than any other men in the US. While it’s not fully understood, many researchers believe that the low levels of sunlight in winter lead to Vitamin D deficiency, which increases the mortality rate. Prostate cancer is much more common in North America, Australia, northwestern Europe, and in the Caribbean, but far less common in Central and South America, Asia, and Africa. It’s unclear as to why, but lifestyle may play a role: men living in rural China have only a 2% risk of prostate cancer, but their risk increases to 17% after moving to a westernized country.

Family History: Prostate cancer does seem to have a hereditary component. Men who have a brother or a father that contracted prostate cancer are twice as likely to develop the condition, and the risk increases further if more than two family members are affected or if their family member was diagnosed before age 55.

Potential Risk Factors: While the links are even less well understood, some research suggests other factors that may have links to prostate cancer. These factors include diet, smoking, obesity, exposure to chemicals, prostate inflammation, sexually transmitted infections, and having a vasectomy.

Non-Risk Factors: Some things that many people believe to be linked to prostate cancer are, in fact, mere myths: things like sexual activity level or appetite, taking medications like aspirin, alcohol consumption, and vitamin E have no relation to the risk of developing prostate cancer.

Make Your Appointment For Cancer Treatment Today!

Please reach out to Palo Verde Cancer Specialists today to explore your treatment options. We understand the challenges you’re facing, and we’re here to provide compassionate support and guidance. With five convenient locations throughout the valley, we’re dedicated to helping you every step of the way.

Contact Us Now

SCHEDULE APPOINTMENT or seeking SECOND OPINION? Complete this form and we will contact you within 24-hours.